Using Subcontractors: Why You Should Just Say No
Most roofing companies in Calgary use subcontractors to do installations, especially in the peak season. We used to do that too, until we realized that almost all complaints, problems, and callbacks were due to this practice. We continue to use subcontractors for some exteriors but never for roof installations.
What’s Wrong With Using Subcontractors?
We’ve found that having our own employees do installations results in better quality and a better experience because:
- Subcontractors work for the contractor—not for you. Naturally, you’re not their first priority. Our employees are here to serve you, the client. You’re always their first priority.
- Subcontractors are usually paid by the job, so it’s in their best interests to get the job done as fast as possible. That can lead to shortcuts or simply not taking the time to make sure the job is done right.
- As a roofing company, we have no way of knowing how much training a subcontractor has received or if that training was correct. A subcontractor might be using techniques he was trained in that we would consider completely inappropriate. Our employees are trained to our high standards and properly supervised so we—and you—can relax.
- Subcontractors also use their own tools, equipment, and employees. As with training, their tools, equipment, and employees might not meet our high standards.
- Good subcontractors are in high demand during the peak season. That means that contractors may not be able to secure them, but they still have to get jobs done. This can lead to hiring subcontractors who may not be as focused on quality.
- Companies hire subcontractors to keep their costs down; they don’t have to pay CPP, EI, or Workers’ Compensation because the subcontractors aren’t employees and they don’t have to keep them on the payroll in slower seasons. While managing costs is part of doing business, we believe that the focus should be on doing what is best for the client when making business decisions.
- Subcontractors don’t understand what our company is all about. Our employees live and breathe our vision, mission, and culture. They know we’re the roofing company where you’re treated like a friend and they approach each client that way, making for what we think is a better roofing experience.
It’s the Only Way to Do It Right
Done Right Roofing is the only major roofing company in Calgary that only operates employee roofing crews. Making a stand against using subcontractors hasn’t been easy, but it was the right thing to do, because there was no other way to live out our vision and mission.
We’re committed 100% to our roofers and they feel the same loyalty toward the company. This bond is passed onto homeowners as a commitment to quality, professionalism, and doing the job right.